At 6 p.m. Thursday, April 25, at Ker Place, archaeologists Michael Barber and Michael Clem of the Virginia Department of Historic Resources will share details of their ongoing archaeological investigations at the Eyreville site, located on an expansive terrace of Cherrystone Creek on Northampton County’s bayside. They’ll be bringing along artifacts for viewing.
The site has been continuously occupied since 1636 through a series of houses leading up to the current house that dates to 1799. They have discovered the remnants of at least two 17th-century houses and several outbuildings. The research not only has allowed them to identify all the owners of the property since it was first occupied, including two early members of the House of Burgesses in Jamestown, but also provides some colorful stories about the community in the early years of the colony, including a surprising amount of interaction with Dutch traders and settlers.
Barber has been Virginia state archaeologist since April 2006. Prior to that, he served for 30 years as USDA-Forest Service archaeologist for the George Washington and Jefferson national forests in the western part of the state. In his capacity as state archaeologist, he has been involved with such sites as Camden, Eyreville, Flowerdew Hundred, Great Neck, Hand, Hatch, Jamestown, Keyser Farm, Maycock, Patawomeke, Shannon, Trigg, and Werwocomoco. Clem has worked as an archaeologist in the Mid-Atlantic region for more than 25 years, much of that time focused on Virginia. His primary interest has been on historic domestic sites. He answers requests from citizens to examine sites and artifacts they have found, works with local and state government officials on threatened sites, and conducts field schools to help train volunteers in the processes of doing archaeology.
The lecture is $10 for ESVHS members, $15 for not-yet-members. Light refreshments will be included. To register, visit shorehistory.org/ticketsales.