Back to All Events

Museum Reopening Reception: 60 Years/60 Artifacts

  • Ker Place 69 Market Street Onancock, VA, 23417 United States (map)

The Eastern Shore of Virginia Historical Society has been collecting shore history for six decades. That’s a lot of history to keep track of. When visitors enter Ker Place today, they can see many of our most interesting and unique artifacts on display, but, did you know that only about 20% of what the historical society has collected is regularly on display? The other 80% is held in our collections and archives room, to be used for special exhibits or research purposes, and is kept safe for future Eastern Shore generations. 

However, This year for the 60th anniversary more of our collection will be on display than ever before. The historical society is selecting a collection of 60 artifacts to define our 60 years of collecting Eastern Shore history. While some of these artifacts are well known to our regular visitors, this exhibit is focused on highlighting artifacts and archives that have never before been on display to the public. It has become difficult to choose and highlight only 60 artifacts, but the historical society staff is working to curate a variety of artifacts, large and small, from portraits to pantaloons to showcase all aspects of Eastern Shore life and the history of the Historical Society. 

The exhibit, 60 Years/ 60 Artifacts, opens March 10th in collaboration with our Museum Opening night. Join us in celebrating Eastern Shore History!

Admission: FREE and Open to the Public

There will be a Cash Bar and hors d'oeuvres will be served